Sunday, September 6, 2009

Artist profile - Tom Hermann

Did you study art?

Not at school, but I went back to Uni as a mature student and studied a Bachelor of Visual Communication (Illustration). I've always drawn.


Where do you make your art?

At home or if I'm sketching then out and about- I always try to have a sketchbook and a pencil handy.


What are you working on at the moment?

Mostly portraiture and some book illustrations


What is your favourite medium?

Pencil and paper closely followed by acrylic on anything that won't move too quickly. I've recently started dabbling with digital painting with a Wacom Intuous 3.


Where do you find inspiration?

Stories mostly and music. I like looking at other (better) art and drawing a certain amount of competitiveness from that, but it has always been classic stories that inspire me to draw.


What have been some of your most enjoyable art projects?

Recently painting a part of a mural for Jive Bar on Hindley St. It was great to see everyone else's work in tandem with my own.


Do your artworks turn out like how you imagined?

Never... but I'm getting closer and sometimes you get a happy accident where it turns out nothing like what you meant, but you get something even better! I like those




No comments: