Monday, December 6, 2010

A little bit about Gabe Cunnett




Could you give us a hint as to what you will be exhibiting in the show?
My exhibition contribution consists of some fun, warm, fuzzy characters that I've been working on for a while now in sketchbooks and the like. Mainly elephants and giraffes! Lots of colour and (hopefully) charm.


What inspired you to make this work?

I was inspired to join get on the Ms Doody Art train after attending the exhibition the last two years. Last year I bought some great pieces and I still regret not making a purchase the year before!

The works themselves are inspired by my son Thor. He's such a warm, loving, happy kid.


Did it turn out how you imagined?
They have so far... but I won't know for sure until I a) finish them and b) get some feedback from the other artists and the public. But so far so good.


How did you get started as an artist/designer?
I joined Visual Communication on a whim, and then chose the Illustration path on another whim before really finding a style and the confidence to go beyond home sketches and develop my skills. I feel like I'm still getting started as an artist/designer.


Is there reoccurring theme in the art you make?
Usually lots of colour and contrast... plus a bit of quirkiness and humour.


How do you know when your artwork is finished?

I can usually tell an artwork is finished when I can go to bed, wake up revisit it with fresh eyes and not want to make any changes... or when I have a looming deadline and I don't have time to make changes. Happens now and then.

Check out more of Gabe's work at www.gabe.com.au.



No comments: